Thursday, April 8, 2010

Surprise Lettuce

I let my lettuce go to seed once the weather got hot last year.  I intended to collect the seed, but I never got around to it.  I didn't need to collect the seed.  It has sown itself.  Good Old Mother Nature is much sharper and a lot less lazy than I am.

This lettuce looks like it might be red sails.

I have no idea which lettuce this one is.

The sad part is that these lettuces look much better than the ones I started inside a couple of weeks ago.  I guess the lesson here is that I will do better with my lettuce if I direct sow it than if I try to start it early inside.

3 comments:

  1. This happens in my garden often. Volunteers always look better, don't they? I guess they just germinate when conditions are right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, maybe I should stop fussing so much....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think direct sow is much better, esp. since I can plant it early. But I planted mesclun early, one I had never had before. It's bitter!! Like adding something really spicy to the salad. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I'm planting my butterleaf today. Like that mild taste.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails