Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bah! Catalpa Trees and Poke Weed


Catalpa trees and poke weed make me nuts.  I pull thousands of catalpa seedings out of my garden.  You can't just pull them up with your hand. Their roots get a strong grip in the ground before they grow stems big enough for me to see.  I now garden with pliers in my back pocket.  I use them to grab the section of the stem right as it meets the ground.  A good hard yank with the pliers in that spot allows me to pull most of the catalpa seedlings without having to dig them out.

I live in a historical neighborhood.  One of the original requirements for building in the area was that the property owners had to plant trees on their properties.  Apparently, in the Victorian era catalpa trees were very popular.  The Victorian residents of the neighborhood planted them all through the neighborhood.  I don't have one, but my neighbor's catalpa tree hangs over my back yard.  They have lovely flowers, but they drop obnoxious seed pods that readily grow into catalpa seedlings. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled out dozens of seedlings from my front yard, and I still see more that I will have to take care of soon.

What weeds or weedy plants make you crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails