Friday, May 21, 2010

Veggie Garden Progress

Here's an update on my vegetable garden.

My west back yard bed

My north backyard bed

My eggplant is doing well. I'm growing listada de gandia. I chose this variety because it's white with purple stripes. It's supposed to have a great flavor and it's just the right size for dinner.

My zucchini got munched by something, probably bunnies, but it is forming some new leaves. I hope that it will survive.

Most of my cucumbers look great.

However, my lemon cucumbers look terrible.

I planted green, purple and yellow bush beans.  They all came up and are growing well.

My tomatoes have grown at least a couple of inches this week.  Fred Limbaugh looks fantastic.  I chose this variety because it's a pink beefsteak that tastes sweet and fruity. 

These are my cheater celery.  The celery that I started from seed didn't do well, so I bought a dozen celery seedlings from a nursery. This variety is self-blanching, so I don't have to worry about planting them in trenches.

My broccoli has finally taken off. The seedlings were puny, but they are filling out nicely. I chose Apollo because it produces a lot of side shoots.  I don't like heads of broccoli much, but the side shoots are sweeter and more tender.

2 comments:

  1. You are making great progress there! I had a problem last year with something eating my cucumber plants... it turned out to be my dog Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matron, you may be on to something. My dogs eat my tomatoes all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails