Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Outsmarted by a Cocker Spaniel


One would think that I could outsmart my dogs.  Cockers are not known for their intelligence. It's a good thing that they are so sweet. As I posted last month, I'm having problems with my dogs running along the fence that borders my alley. In the past they haven't done this, but now they have this new destructive habit.  They have been trampling my oriental lilies, bee balm, and delphinium.


Last month, I rearranged the bed to create some daylily speed bumps. I was hoping that the day lilies would provide enough of a barrier that my dogs wouldn't beat a path at the back of the bed.  I was wrong, and Stevie from Garden Therapy was right. Her comment to the posting was "Good luck! I hope they don't see it as an obstacle course now!" My dogs totally see the day lilies as added fun. Maybe Stevie is a garden dog therapist : )




My new plan is to install hurdles. I bought some cheap garden fences at a home store and installed them throughout the back of my perennial bed. A few years ago, Peanut, the dog picture above, could have easily cleared these hurdles.  He's older now with a little arthritis, so he's not much of a threat. Marci could never be coordinated enough to jump the hurdles. She is rather clumsy and has been known to fall off the bed. I really hope that this new idea works.  I don't want to have to restrict my dogs' access to the back yard.

1 comment:

  1. Vinyl fencing is more exciting that you can imagine and not just a matter for providing privacy from your neighbor next door.

    Fences Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails