Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sprouted Potatoes

 I saved some potatoes from last year's harvest: butterball, Swedish fingerling, and blue potatoes. I stored them in my upstairs bathroom closet because it is dark and cold. I hoped that they would make it through the winter. When I went to retrieve them today, I saw that they had sprouted. The sprouts have already started to produce leaves. Since I have nothing to lose, I decided to try to plant them anyway.

I grow my potatoes in large plastic pots. I add a couple of inched in the bottom of the pot. Then I place a couple of potatoes on top of the dirt and cover them with a couple more inched of dirt. As the potatoes grow and produce leaves, I add a couple of inched of dirt, chopped up old leaves, and maybe a sprinkling of compost when the plants reach about 5 inches above the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails