Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Favorite Combinations: Coreopsis, Salvia, and Hardy Geranium

One of my favorite combinations of plants that bloom this time of the year is May Night Salvia (Salvia sylvestris), tickseed (coreopsis grandiflora), and hardy geranium 'Max Frei' (geranium sanguineum).

May night salvia is one of my favorite perennials.  It's easy to grow and intensely colorful for long periods of time. It's bluish-purple color complements the colors of most plants in my garden. It grows in zones 4-8 and prefers full sun.  It has the most intense blooming period in May and June. However, if I shear it off after it blooms, it will rebloom for me throughout the summer. My only complaint about the plant is that it smells a little like cat pee. Fortunately, the foul smell isn't detectable unless I place my nose close to the plants.

The coreopsis grows in zones 4-9 and blooms from May/June until frost for me in the heart of zone 5. It's easy to grow. It thrives in full sun and is drought resistant.

The hardy geranium grows in zones 3-8 in sun.  It's supposed to grow in part shade, but mine has always died in part shade. It blooms most prolifically in May and June for me, but I get some sporadic blooming throughout the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails