Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Planting Sugar Snap Peas

Since Daylight Savings Time began, I have a good amount of time after work in which I can garden.  After work today, I really got a lot accomplished.  I planted sugar snap peas, onions, and shallots.  I also got some weeding accomplished in the process.



I mixed my sugar snap pea into my perennial bed along the fence and I also planted some in the hidden garden at the end of the alley.  I have invested a lot of energy (lasagna garden with an annual mulching of chopped up leaves and composted horse bedding) in creating some terrific soil in my perennial bed, so planting was easy:

First, I made a hole with my finger.  Peas need to be planted about 1" deep.  The distance between the tip of my finger and my first knuckle is about 1", so making a hole at the correct depth with my finger is easy.

Then I dropped a pea in the hole and covered it up.

In my perennial bed, the peas will climb the fence. In the hidden garden, they will climb some tree branches that I scavenged from the lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails