Monday, March 22, 2010

Lettuce Thinning

When I set up my light for seed growing, I decide to start some lettuces inside so that I could get some a little earlier.  No matter how careful I am, I typically sow the seeds too heavily.  I really needed to thin out the lettuce.  The weather has been great for the past couple of weeks, with highs in the 50s and 60s, and the 10 day forecast suggests that the weather will remain fairly warm.  Since I had nothing to lose, I decided to take the lettuces that I thinned and transplant them to some outdoor pots.


I mixed up some nice planting mixture from some chopped up leaves, compost, and the remains of last year's annuals pots.



Then I place the mixture into some pots that I have.  I made holes with my finger in the soil mixture and place individual seedlings that I culled from my lettuce starts into the holes.




Finally, I watered the seedling with a little water in which I had soaked some willow branches.  The willow tea promotes root growth.

J6M8CKBW4XCJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails